Wednesday, May 16, 2007

british pub dining

For the second time this week, Alvin and I went to Fox & Goose. First it was Saturday for breakfast before we visited shelters. I had the Benedict Arnold with Canadian bacon with their special sauce (forgot the name; substitute for hollandaise, some Welsh-type sauce). Alvin had a New Yorker's omelet: smoked salmon with cream cheese. Pretty good. We also shared an olallieberry (sp?) scone. I really like their food.

We had dinner last night and their "pub grill" food is okay, nothing special. I had a cornish pasty, which is cornish meat (??? haha, I don't know) with potatoes and peas, served with a side of gravy. Alvin had the nutburger which was pretty interesting. It was a ground up mix of nuts made into a patty served on a bun. I liked it; it reminded me of taco meat. We also had their appetizer sampler which had fried zucchini, chicken strips and banger rolls (these are greaaat! they're english sausages rolled up dough). Nothing was too greasy, which was also a plus. We shared their burnt cream desert, which reminded me of lecheflan, except served really chilled. I liked it too. I'd come back for that, but not anything else for the dinner. Breakfast, definitely.

We also tried out Daphne's Greek Cafe (a Greek restaurant/fast-food chain-type place) in Elk Grove. I had the vegetarian platter and it was pretty good. If all vegetarian dishes were as interesting as Greek vegetarian dishes, I could definitely be a vegetarian. I'd come back here again for the food. It's pretty refreshing and healthy.

Last week, Alvin, Jo and I finally tried Big Spoon Yogurt. I know there are better places, especially Pinkberry and other frogurt spots in So-Cal, but being one of the first in Sac, I have to say it was a good experience. I put vanilla, strawberry, and Ghirardhelli frogurt into my cup (a little too much, it was overflowing) and topped it with mini-gummy bears, strawberries (too bad they were frozen), chocolate chips, white chocolate chips, caramel sauce and probably other stuff that I've already forgotten. It was greaaat! I really hope they open a better frogurt place with fresher toppings and more flavors of yogurt!

Fox & Goose Public House
1001 R St, Sacramento, CA
(916) 443-8825

Daphne's Greek Cafe
Elk Grove, CA
(no listing avail. yet)

Big Spoon Yogurt
3644 J St # A, Sacramento, CA
(916) 731-4655

No comments:

 
eXTReMe Tracker